Film World Events of the 1930s
- 1930 - The colonial government bans all newsreels on Gandhi's protests and activities.
- 1931 - India's first "Talkie" is release, this is "Alam Ara".
Alam Ara Advert
- 1931 - De De Khuda Ke Naam Par Pyare becomes India's first film song. It was sung by W.M. Khan and appeared in "Alam Ara".
- 1931 - The first sound films in Tamil, Telugu, and Bengali are produced
- 1932 - The actress Zubeida creates a sensation in her film "Zarina", with her scanty attire and her kissing scenes. Kissing on-screen would not become acceptable for many decades.
- 1932 - The first talkies in Gujarati and Marathi are produced.
- 1932 - Punjab's first film is made. This is "Heer Ranjah" and was produced by Hakim Ram Prasad.
- 1932 - The Motion Picture Society of India is established
- 1932 - "Indra Sabha" is made. This film holds the record for the number of songs it has. It contains 71 songs.
- 1932 - India makes its first Marathi film. This is "Ayodhecha Raja" and is directed by V. Shantaram.
- 1933 - India's first colour film is released it is "Sairandhri" However this film was processed in Germany.
- 1933 - The Regal Cinema in Bombay becomes India's first air conditioned movie theatre.
- 1935 - The release of "Devdas" creates India's first "superstar", this is KL Saigal who influences the entire Indian film culture for the next decade.
Jamuna and K.L. Saigal in scene from Devdas (1935)
- 1935 - The film "Dhoop Chhaon" introduces the concept of the "playback singer". Before this, the actors sang for themselves.
- 1936 - Ashok Kumar makes his film debut in the film "Jeevan Naiya".
- 1937 - India's first indigenously processed colour film is released, this is "Kisan Kanya".
Scene from "Kisan Kanya"
- 1937 - J.B.H. Wadia's "Naujawan" becomes India's first song-less talkie.
- 1937 - Homi Wadia Nadia releases silent film "Naujawan"; however he is forced to explain to the audiences why he has released a silent film. This underscores the great speed in which the Indian film industry embraced the "talkie".
- 1938 - The first Malayalam talkie is made. This is "Balan" and it was produced by Modern Theatres Ltd.
- 1939 - R.D. Burman is born to S.D. Burman and his wife Meera.
- 1933-1938 - Many silent film companies go out of business under pressure from the the new "talkies".
Scene from "Devdas"(1936)
"Fearless" Nadia in "Miss Frontier Mail"(1936)
A Few Notable Films of the 1930S
Hindi / Urdu Films
- 1930 - Ram Rahim (silent)
- 1930 - Veer Na Ver (silent)
- 1931 - Alam Ara (India's first talkie)
- 1931 - Ghar Ki Lakshmi (India's 2nd talkie)
- 1932 - Ayodhya (talkie)
- 1932 - Jinda Lash (a.k.a. A Living Corpse)
- 1932 - Mohabbat Ke Aansoo (a.k.a. Tears of Love)(Urdu)
- 1932 - Subahke Sitare
- 1933 - Dulari Bibi
- 1933 - Lal-e-Yamen (talkie)
- 1933 - Puran Bhakta
- 1933 - Rajrani Meera
- 1933 - Yahudiki Ladki
- 1934 - Bombai Ki Mohini (talkie)
- 1934 - Chandidas
- 1934 - Char Dervesh (talkie)
- 1934 - Daku Ki Ladki (talkie)
- 1934 - Daku Mansoor (a.k.a. Karishma-e-Kudrat)
- 1934 - Miss 1933 (talkie)
- 1934 - Nai Duniya (talkie)
- 1934 - Rooplekha (a.k.a. Muhabbatki Kasauti)
- 1935 - Aadmi Aur Padosi
- 1935 - Aurat
- 1935 - Devdas
- 1935 - Dhoop Chaon (Talkie)
- 1935 - Duniya Na Mane
- 1935 - Ek Hi Rasta
- 1935 - Hunter Wali
- 1935 - Karwan-e-Hayat
- 1935 - Sairandhri
- 1935 - Watan
- 1936 - Achhut Kanya
- 1936 - Miss Frontier Mail
- 1936 - Devdas
- 1936 - Karodpati (a.k.a. The Millionaire)
- 1936 - Mamta
- 1936 - Mr. & Mrs. Bombay
- 1936 - Pujarin
- 1937 - Kisan Kanya
- 1937 - Naujawan (Silent)
- 1937 - Parakh
- 1937 - The President
- 1937 - Zameen Ka Chand
- 1937 - Vidyapati
- 1938 - Adhikar
- 1938 - Bhabhi
- 1938 - Dharati Mata (a.k.a. Mother Land)
- 1938 - Street Singer
- 1939 - Aadami
- 1939 - Dushman (a.k.a. The Enemy)
- 1939 - Gul-e Bakawali
- 1939 - Leatherface
- 1939 - Prem Sagar
- 1939 - Pukar
- 1935 - Bhagya Chakra (Bengali)
- 1935 - Debdas (Bengali)
- 1936 - Bijoy (Bangali)
- 1937 - Didi [Badi Bahan] (Bengali)
- 1938 - Sathi (Bengali)
- 1939 - Jeeban Maran (Bengali)
Kanan Devi and Pahari Sanyal in "Vidyapati" (1937)
Scene from V. Shantaram's "Aadmi" (1939)
Selected Videos of the 1930s
Baba Mun Ki Ankhe Khol (Dhoop Chaon - 1935)
Dukh Ke Ab Din Bitat Nahi (Devdas - 1936)
Baabul Mora, Naihar Chhooto Hi Jaaye (Street Singer - 1938)
Mein Ban Ki Chidiya (Achut Kanya - 1936)
Ek Bangla Bane Nyaara (President - 1937)
ChanNaNaNa (Street Singer - 1938)
Duet From Street Singer (Street Singer - 1938)
Sanveriyan (Street Singer - 1938)
DilMe Tu AnkhonMe Tu SaansonMe Tu (Pukar - 1939)
Misc. Non-Musical Videos of the 1930s
Gateway To India - Bombay 1932
Meher Baba Interview 1932 Newsreel (religion, spirituality)
Tropical Ceylon 1932
Colorful Jaipur 1932